Saturday, August 17, 2013

What matters is eternal

This evening, while I was struggling though the second half of my 8.6km run, this phrase suddenly dawned on me:

Whatever that may happen in this liefetime is temporal, because we have an assured eternity. With that, why not give thanks to God whatever circumstances we may be in because it is no longer significant compared to our eternal future.

Leading on, my mind was flooded with thoughts of his goodness, wonders and grace, despite the fact that I am a mere being in the whole universe (Psalm 8). Overwhelmed my his wonders, I instinctively batantly lifted up my hands to praise Him. Surprising, amid the fatigue of the run, I found myself running faster as if there was a fresh burst of energy. All the tiring feelings seems to dissappeared. The remaining of the run was completed with ease.

Yes, it is indeed a praiseworthy incident, thanking Him for the strength and inspiration.

However, what inspired me further was awestrucked. I suddenly saw the parallel to the incident which apostle Paul literated in this second letter to the Corithians when he was tormented by the thorn in flesh. In response to his 3 plead to the Lord for removal of the thorns, Paul was 'merely' told that God's grace is sufficient for him. Apparently, the pain was not removed. With that, Paul's focus was directed to a more important perspective, of seeing God's wonders. With that, the pain was no longer significant to him, giving him the ability to move forward.

The above is not a passage for us to endure pain or sufferings, instead it is a passage for the shift of paradigm; for us to direct our focus on what seems more significant than what we have to go through this lifetime.

Instead of simply just thanking God for the strength to complete the run, afterall it is good to thank him, I would like to thank Him for the realigning of focus. As a rational person, the muscles would have been definitely tired from the run. Hence, I believe that it was the re-alignment of focus which infused a fresh wave of motivation filled with joy, thus randering all fatigues insignificant. God really does work and answer prayers in inexpected ways.

Before the start of the run, I 'foolishly' prayed for God's protection and strength that I could finish the run well and safely. Convinently, I added the following: let this also be an opportunity for a realignment of focus to Him. Intially, my intention of the 2nd part was meant as a 'retorical prayer' because 'turning my eyes to Jesus' is more of an action to execute than a prayer. Thus, it was really an unexpected prayer answered.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8
Recently, someone I know was lamenting about the apparent poverty he has to endure because his parents 'sacrificed financially' for the cause of Christ, resulting in the children having to suffer monetarily. What was relavent was the remark which he made: When things goes well, they thanked God, and when situation was unfavourable, they still thanked God believing that situation will get better. It seems like a conspiracy theology for Christians to feel better in bad situations while still blindly trust in God. Instead, if he happens to read this, how about seeing it this way:

Whatever that may happen in this liefetime is temporal, because we have an assured eternity. With that, why not give thanks to God whatever circumstances we may be in because it is no longer significant compared to our eternal future.

1 Comments:

Blogger Darren Wong said...

What an inspiration sharing, Justin! How amazing that God can inspire you to complete your run with a different perspective. A verse came to my mind after reading your post. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." -Phil 3:14. May all of us be able to finish the race and receive the rewards by His strength and grace in Christ Jesus!

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home