Wednesday, July 19, 2023

MAN’s STRUGGLE

Our struggle with our sinful desires can be very real. More so for man and our sexuality. It is definitely not true that when we receive Christ or the Holy Spirit, we will no longer sin. In fact, we may still sin.

I am sure there had been times, the temptation to commit sin can be very strong, even sometimes after we thought we prayed to God, we are still having the struggle. We may even at times reasoned with God that: God, you must have allowed us to commit this sin right? Verse such as 'when sin increase, grace increase may be the backdrop of our argument with God.

Worst, sometimes, we will attempt to resist the any temptation to sin, even citing resist the devil (temptation) and it will flee from you. And the more we try to resist, the worst the temptation may become. It sometimes behaves like a spell that keep drawing us to sin.

But somehow, we may end up succumbing to our weakness. Feeling guilty or at times shameful.

And if ever we succumb to our weakness a few more times, we may even be so numb to the shame as guilt as well.

And with that, we may end up attending church like nothing has happened. We may have even devised a camouflage image doing all the 'Christian behaviour' in church.

I am not writing this merely from observation, but also personal experience in my own Christian walk.

Have I fallen before? Countless times! Will I dare to say, now that I have the Spirit of God, that I will not fall anymore? Certainly not!

I am also a human! Paul wrote in his epistle to the Romans:

“For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will do, I do not do; but the evil I will not do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.” - Romans 7:15-20

Even apostle Paul struggled with sin amid his active ministry days.

So does that mean that I am writing this as a passport for me to sin? Certainly not! Paul also in his writings did not give us this clearance. He continued into a lengthy explanation of paradigm living in the Spirit, which may confuse many new believers.

However, this writing is not a theology discussion of living in the Spirit or being resurrected in the Spirit etc. But a down to earth sharing on what happens if we even really committed any sin.

To clarify, I am not suggesting that we can wilfully sin, the consequence is not worth it!

“Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”- 1 Corinthians 6:18-20

So please don't ever defile our temple wilfully!

Sharing one time while I was worshipping at the altar. Right in front of me, I saw a flaming fire. Immediately, I recognised it as the fire of God. The fire was like asking me to draw near to be burnt. My first instinct was fear! Somehow, I felt that I am such a wretched person, confirm will get burnt by it! But at that moment, I heard a gentle and clear voice: This is My Holy fire, it is meant to burn away your impurity, it will not hurt you. I love you and want to sanctify you....

This really gave me a real revelation! I can still approach Him despite my sinful nature! And through the blood of Christ, I can approach Him boldly, so that He can sanctify me! Somehow, the equation seems quite complete.

“Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16

So how is that relevant to us falling to sin? We that I had a new understanding: That the rule number 1 when the moment we realised we have sin or fallen into sin, is to TURN AND RUN BACK TO GOD! SO THAT HE CAN SANTIFY AND RESTORE US.

“Tell the Israelites to designate the cities of refuge, as I instructed you through Moses, so that anyone who kills a person accidentally and unintentionally may flee there and find protection from the avenger of blood.” - Joshua 20:2-3

During the Old Testament, God has already instituted His commandment where the Jews were running distance from any place in the country when they committed a major crime. This concept of city of refuge was designed so that the murderer could run there and find protection, likewise, when we sinned, God wants us to run to Him

The mistake most of us may made is avoid God! On the contrary, God is always calling us with His love to come back to His embrace, the blood of Jesus is that for a reason, so that the separation of hostility is removed! Do not be tricked, His grace is never too little to forgive us!

And now the benefit of running back to Him is this: to be RECONNECTED BACK to His Spirit- “the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses” -Rom 8:26

Now, with this equation, the bible did not guarantee that we will not fall to sin, but if we constantly run back to our Abba Father, and like David asked: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.”- Psalm 51:10-12

Each time, we will gradually align and “live accordingly to the Spirit and inherit the spiritual mindset.” - Romans 8:4, eventually bearing the fruit of the Spirit as we walk in the Spirit and we can eventually relate us finally conqueror over sin. Not by our human strength, but by His Spirit that is at work in us!

“I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” - Gal 5:16

“Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” - Rom 8:39

 

In the news today, I read that a prominent Christian politician resigned from politics after being found to be having an affair. He was featured in a number of Christian articles, including salt and light etc. There is no doubt that this will impact a lot of us as believers. As such, I am inspired to share my thought as a fellow believer of Christ

Written by Bro Justin Sng on the 17th of July 2023 at 11:15pm. Editied by BDR.. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home