Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Austin and his 'Water Babies'...

Recently, Austin bought 3 packets of bead-like stuff for $2 instead of giving the money for charity when approached on the same day. He claimed those were water babies, and it will grow when put in water. So he did just that.....






True enough, his 'water babies grew' and became spherical in shape. He got so excited that he went around the house telling everyone that his 'water babies grew'. So I went to see what my brother was up to. When I looked into the transparent pail which he 'incubated' his water babies.
I discovered that those were merely jelly-like balls which, when in contact with water, increase in size because of water absorption. "What!" I exclaimed.. "You called this alive?" I became so dissappointed with him, thinking that he is supposed to be smart.

So being a science student, expecially LIFE science, I explained to him osmosis and that these are not LIVE.. And I decided to show him that I can reverse it by drying. So I took one out and prepared a hair-dryer for some 'dehydration' process.



Just as I was about to do it. He snatched his 'baby' back and told me not to kill it.. What a joke! IT is not even alive in the 1st place. He said he wanted to see it grow to about 5cm diameter. I was like... What on earth...



Anyway, when he was not around, I took one of it from the bucket and put it in a toaster. However, due to the rapid heating, the sphere scattered into many pieces. Next, I took another one and bury it in a glass of salt. After, 1 hr when i came back to see, it shrinked, altough not to its orginal size because it can retain some water (some bonding etc.)



When I showed it to him after he came home, he was like: don't kill my babies.. and instructed Tuti to guard the rest from me..





Can't believe my brother to be so protective over something which is not alive! What happened to him???



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Today, I decided to send some of his down 7 storeys down vertically. As such, Austin's girlfriend was invited to witness the event. Before the drop, Austin claimed that his babies will survive the fall (ie remain intact), but I believed otherwise.







So at ground floor, I called tuti to drop 2 of the spherical gels down. Instead, she droped a handful of it which made my brother screamed. And down it comes.....



Upon reaching the ground, the 'water babies' were smashed and scattered in all directions. Austin was dissappointed. Next, he proceeded to look around to see if there was any 'survival'.




Sad for him, none survived. Here, his girlfriend offered an alternative method of dropping, where his babies may still 'survive'...... "drop from 2nd floor instead".....



1 Comments:

Blogger austin sng said...

water babies do grow better in cold condition and can survive 7 storey

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home