Saturday, January 19, 2008

More updates from China..

Here I am, this rural industrial town for the forth night and have almost lost track of time. Life here is cold, 'alcoholical' and chinese... Of the 3, I cannot get used to the former two. Despite these, there are more experiences here.

What a gruesome journey.
Yesterday, the owner of the factory brought us to a country factory which manufactures raw materials for the products. Journey there was miserable. We had to endure 1 hour of car ride along the country road which are so unevenly paved. While in the car, we experienced bumps every few hundred meters. My uncle almost vomited, he claimed. When we finally reached the raw material factory, all of us left the care immediately with relief...

Why wear the same?
Later in the day, we visited another factory where the export manager attended to us as their boss was busy entertaining someone else, afterall we were the impromptu guest. After the meeting, the staff brought us for dinner (which is the usual practice of chinese). As this was entertained by the staff level, four staffs were present to make up for the absence of their boss. It was there that I discovered that the export manager sweater was of the same colour as mine. Hence, I immediately took off mine as I do not want to be a subject of joke among us Singaporean. Fortunately we were having steamboat for dinner, where the steam could keep me warm at least. Great! I look young!

During the dinner, the export manager asked for my age. Out of impulse, I told her I was 1 year younger than her, which I figured from her msn address given to us (she included her birthday in her username). However, she was not attentive enough to hear that hint. Eventually, my dad got into a wager with her that if she can guess my age correctly, she will be excused from beer, which she is not used to (surprising!). The 3 option given was: 17. 21 and 24. During the process of guessing, she keep saying that I look 17. However, due to the adverse reaction from my dad, that option was ruled out. After a long period of consideration, she finally chosed 24, which great uncertainity from her face. Upon asking for confirmation, I took up her glass of beer. She looked extremely scared.

Instead, I took the glass and drink it, because she guessed correctly. What a waste, we lost one drinker!

After the revealation, the discussion continued. The china's nationals keep saying that I looked younger than 23 and that I looked more like 17. Which makes me feel young again!
As of other dinnner, this meal was again paid by our host..

At last, our first cents..
It was only until today that we managed to spend our first cents on food. Ever since we touched down in China, all our meals were paid for by the hosts from various factories. It was only when one of the host brought us to the bus station to purchase tickets for tomorrow's trip to Suzhou that we spent our first cents.

Our first output of cash was on a roadside stall for sweet potato, which was considered the war food during the Japanese occupation in Singapore..

And first sight seeing...

After purchasing the bus tickets, my dad requested that we be brought to visit one of the attraction in this area. However, the staff from this particular factory said they had to finish up their work for the day. Hence, my dad suggested to just drop us at the attraction.
The attraction which we visited was the man-made caves which was created after years of harvesting for materials during the ancient days. Some of the usage of stones harvested were for ornaments, funitures, excercise machines (dumbells) housings etc.
(pictures to be added)

Due to time constraint, we only managed to visit one of the caves. I managed to take some pictures of my experience there.
The pond above is actually the bottom of the well below The frogs can be seen from the well which represent 井底之蛙.. Hmm.. It suddenly reminds me of someone... However the idea is loosely associated to that someone because this 蛙 heard alot of the world outside..

The mountain above is now hollow from harvesting of stones in the past
However, the caves does not impress me because it is not natural and that I have seen much better landscape- 黄山 (huang shang), which is acclaimed to be the most scenic place in China leading to this saying: 五岳归来不看山, 黄山归来不看岳 wo yue gui lai bu kan shan, huang shan gui lai bu kan yue (chinese characters will be added later)

The above phrase means: After visiting the five famous mountains in China, you will not want to visit other mountains. And after visiting 黄山 (huang shang), you will not even want to visit even the five famous mountains. This emphasize the profound beauty of 黄山 (huang shang).

Hence, visiting the cave, does not really impress me, from the aspect of scenery, expecially when it is artificial. However, I managed to appreciate the cultural aspect, which emphasized the advancement of the ancient chinese in terms of craftmanship and their ability to build with stone.

By the way, I am a Chinese! Hmmm.. Proud of my heritage.... As my dad always say: we are the decendents of the dragon 龙的传人

Our motorised trishaw journey.
After the visit, we had to find our way back to our hotel. There was no transport from the attraction.

Fortunately, while buying the tickets, the counter-lady gave us a number to call for transport to a car terminal (yes! a car terminal!) where we can charter a car back to our hotel. Upon calling for the transport from the attraction, we discovered that the transport was actually a motorised trishaw, which can barely fit 4 person at the back. The configuration was 2 on one side facing each other. It was cheap though, only 5RMB to the terminal which was only a small house with many cars and motorised trishaw parked along the road.

More drinking, this time, big blow!
Upon arrival in our rooms, the owner of one of the factories called us for dinner again at the high-end resturant in our hotel. This is our 4th time having dinner there, because of the lack of option in this small industrial town.

Before dinner, we were brought to a huge hall where the food samples were displayed everywhere. In the center, live seafood were displayed. The owner, his friend ( a banker) and my dad placed the order. After 'choosing' the food, we went back to our dining room (with a toilet in each room) and wait for the food.

Alcohol this time is the 12% chinese hard liqueur, which we had 2 night ago. However, this time, was heavy drinking. First, the owner toasted to us. before drinking, I observed him first. It was a relieve, that he drink only sips, which I subsequently followed suit.
Next, the banker toasted with me on the individual basis. Right in front of my eyes, he bottomed up! Oh no! I had to follow suit! If not not considered respectful! Hence, closed my eyes and drink the whole glass down (standard wine glass). Within a few minutes, I started to see star!
After about 10mins later, the banker's assistant toasted to me individually and he finished the whole glass too! Oh no! Another time! After this glass, I saw more stars!!

Interesting, for every refill, the wiatress filled my glass to the brime! Thats not fair! Anyway, the host toasted us a few more times which once in a while specified at least half cups, which was bad enough. This went on for a few more rounds.

Altogether, 5 person drank a total of 5 bottles of their version of XO, bearing in mind that my dad's wife only drink barely 2 glasses. Imagine how much the rest of us drink to make up for her incompetence..

After dinner, I literally felt unstable.. Even until now, I could feel myslef still spinning. Anyway, tonight, we can sleep more because our 'express bus' journey to suzhou will be at 1pm. ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home