Thursday, January 17, 2008

Update: Factories visit in China

A few days ago, I received an urgent 'imperial idict' from the emperor to accompany him to visit factories in China in prepration for life after graduation. Thus, within 30 days after my trip from Korea, I find myself travelling again to the northern hemisphere, this time to China.

Departing from T3.



As we are travelling with Singapore Airlines, we had the 'privilage' to depart from the newly opened Terminal 3 of Changi airport. Class as it may be, even the toilet in the waiting area which can see-through glass to the checking area. It has its ulgy side which was spotted by my dad in the toilet at the boarding lounge - dustbin filled with napkins till overflow. So he told me to take a picture of it before boarding the plane.


Buy 1 get 3 free...



As this was a 1am flight, there was not many passengers on the plane, as such, after the plane too off, I took the liberty to conquer an empty row of 3 sits. There, I lifted up the arm-rest in between the seats and lied across with my head facing the left. I put 2 pillows on beneath my head and used one as booster before covering myself with 2 blankets.. As I was not tired yet, I watched 'Rush hour 3' on the left-most screen which the switched to journey display status on the middle screen. As it was difficult to see the screen from my position, and since the left-front seat was vacant, I inclined the seat to get better angle for viewing. As such, I had 3 more free seats for the price of 1. What a good deal....


Service too good to be good.

As for the in-flight service, maybe due to the lack of passengers to served, I felt that I was 'harrassed' by the in-flight attendance every few 10mins, even when I was 'sleeping'. Apparently, it was from the same stewardess. As such, I did not managed to get proper sleep. First, I was offered snacks, then there were seemingly rounds of drinks every few 10 mins, and every rounds I would be offered. The most noteworthy was during the breakfast.

In laying down position, and eyes partially opened, a face suddenly appeared from the top with some glibberish comming out of her mouth. I almost screamed. I only understood what she was saying after sitting up and her repeating herself. However, when served, I ate only a few mouthful as I was in a semi concious state.

At the end of the journey, I concluded that SIA do indeed have good service, but maybe just too good for my liking because I did not had a good sleep because of such.


Wait longer than travelling.

Upon arrival at Pudong international airport at Shanghai(6am) , I found out that we have to catch another 50min flight to a town, but the flight was at 7pm that night! What a long wait. However, we managed to make good use of the wait by visiting a factory in Shanghai before going for the domestic airport for the flight.

We arrived at the airport very early (5pm) and had to stone for 2 more hours before boarding. After an inmemorable wait, we boarded the plane, which was parked on the apron far from the terminal. It was a cold walk from the transfer bus up the plane, expecially when there was a congestion at the stairs.

When everyone had boarded the small 737 plane, the announcement came that there would be delay taking off. Wait again. When it finally moved, our plane had to wait in a queue of 3-4 planes. Wait again. In all, from boarding to take-off, we waited for close to an hour, which was longer than the journey itself! (see my dad dozing off even before the plane took off)

The journey ended eventually and could at last sleep on proper bed in 2 days.

Factories girls?

First thing in the morning, we begin visitation to the factories.

While on the factory tour, I had a memorable experience in one of the rooms. The room was filled with girls, mostly in their teens, doing some wire processing. When I first entered and walked pass them, I heard excited chatterings among the girls I just walked pass.(note, I was the last in the group and visitors are common in factories). Managed to heard something like "...... hen (very) cool..." As I walked down the row, I apparently created excitement along the way, with many looks on me. Hmmm... were they excited by me?

To confirm, I tried to take notice while walking back. True! Giggles happen whenever, I turned my head to their directions. Does young man make them excited? Is it that they have never seen a 'young man' visiting factory with his dad?

Chinese can really drink.

As for drinking, I have been intoxicated with alcohol almost every meal with any Chinese host we ate with.

During the first lunch, we were served wine with 45% alcohol content! It really burnt when it when into the mouth. It was a painful drink. To make it worst, the host actually poured alot into my glass (in context of rice wine). I had to struggle to finish the 'fire' drink. Although, it may be painful, the after taste actually taste quite nice after awhile. Will try to buy some back if I can find it in the next few days.

As for beers, it was served during dinner at the first night and lunch today (2nd day, Thursday). Personally, I hate the taste of beer. But not trying to complicate matter, I forced them down their throat. Anyway, it was here that I learned tricks not to be served too much - try not to drink to less than half your glass because that entitles refill.

Today's dinner was the worst where we had dinner with 7 China's chinese. We were served 'golden wine' which is some form of chinese hard liquer which alc content of 12%. Though lower then the rice wine, we were continually toasted by each of them individually and twice for each individualy because of this chinese saying "hao shi cheng shuang" (good things comes in pairs). As such, drank a total of a few glasses which makes me super dehydrated now...

Thats all for the trip so far....

1 Comments:

Blogger Kok Sheng said...

when reading your post, I empathized that you have to drink till like that.

In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper. Your eyes will see strange sights
and your mind imagine confusing things. - Provs 23:32-33 comes to my mind as you described the burning sensation so vividly.

Sigh hope there's a way you need not get bitten.

Nothing is impossible, can be done.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home